Wednesday, December 21, 2005

In class a while ago we spoke about how some of us can be prone to crying at certain times, and how we all know certain relatives who are perhaps quite quick to get teary eyed. I could really relate. I have certain relatives whom I have never seen cry, but on the other hand, my sister crys at just about everything. We've laughed with her about this for years.

I find it interesting that there is still an expectation placed on men in terms of crying. That old adage of "real men don't cry" is still very much alive and well in my opinion. Many folks may tout that we have come a long way, and that modern man is much more sensitive that his 1950s counterpart, but to be blunt I think that is crap. Not much has changed at all. Little boys are still chastised all the time for being "girly" if they're caught crying....I see it all the time. For those of you who do have children and who permit your children to show their feelings and not be afraid to cry, I applaud you. I think that is very healthy. But I do firmly believe that there are still many folks in the world who still reinforce that old sick adage. It will probably always be that way.

I consider myself a very sensitive person, but I still feel a great need to hide my tears if they arise. I think I've just been conditioned that way. Certain things always get to me. If I see that animated show "The Snowman", the ending just kills me. The film "The Elephant Man" always gets to me too.

So, what makes you cry? :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

What makes me cry? - Almost anything!

A good Hallmark card, the song, "Christmas Shoes," watching "Charlotte's Web," my daughter's baby pictures, watching "The Ghost Whisperer," seeing a loved one hurt in any way, etc..

I think it is important for a boy to show his emotions. My significant other is not afraid to shed a tear during a movie or when he hears a special song and I love him all the more for it. Of course, I am one of those people who will cry because they see someone else crying so sometimes it is a soggy mess around our house.

Oh, by the way, peeling onions makes me cry also.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Miriam Jones said...

Once I was in a shopping arcade (in Halifax) with my little guy and he was wailing; I think he was just tired. Some crusty old fellow walked by and said something to him to the effect of, "Stop crying; you don't want to be a sissy-pants, do you?" I was furious and said to my son, "Tell him, 'Mister, I'm only two!'" The man then had the cheek to say, "Oh, I know, I raised four of my own." It was all I could do to stop from saying, "They have my sympathy."

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home