Monday, December 19, 2005

I've come to the conclusion that I really do not like CGI special effects in movies. You know what I mean...pretty much every big blockbuster coming out of Hollywood these days is loaded with a mind-numbing array of computer generated everything. I just think it looks awful.

I hated the recent Spider Man movies. Not only because the scripts take flagrant liberties with the original story as it was presented in the comics (I was quite an obsessive fan back in the day), but I just thought the special effects looked so bad. As I watched Spidey swinging through Manhattan, I felt like I was watching somebody's XBox. I'm also quite a Star Wars fan, but even I must admit that the recent "Revenge of the Sith" was a case of CGI overkill.

And now I see ads on TV for the new King Kong movie. At first I was quite interested in seeing this, but now I don't think I'll bother. It looks like a case of more of the same old cheesy, fake looking CGI effects. I've grown quite an aversion.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Gary you make a good point. It seems movies are relying more on CGI special effects carrying a movie instead of the script or the actors.

I am not a big fan of video games so I do not enjoy a movie that has the same look as these games. I would much rather see a movie with good acting and an interesting story. I too, will pass on the new King Kong.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home