Thursday, November 17, 2005

I first read "The Rape of the Lock" about two years ago, in an intro to poetry class. I didn't care much for it then and it seems like my fondness for this text has not grown any over the past two years.

Firstly, I think this is one of the most overblown, dense, and unenjoyable texts I have ever read. Of course, I do not deny the fact that this text is not without style, or intelligence, or a clever execution, but it's overall "thick" quality just makes it very unpleasant reading for me.

I do understand that a major component of this work is the fact that Pope is taking something so insignificant and blowing it up into epic proportions. I get that. But one of the ramifications of this inflation, in my opinion, is the fact that it just ends up being way too long and way too pompous. Yes, there is a visual beauty in this work that is undeniable. But overall it's long-winded nature really just annoys me.

I think much of my dislike stems from the fact that I simply do not like any form of art that I perceive as being unnecessarily too long. I like art that gets right to the point. I can say this about movies, music, literature, pretty much anything. If I perceive that something has just trudged along for far too long, my sensibilities tend to get quickly offended. I think the old adage of "less is more" is pretty much gospel.

But that's just my opinion.

Also, when Pope started talking about Sylphs, Fays , Faeries, Elves and Daemons, I became even more uninterested. I began to liken this work to "The Lord of the Rings", another series which I never cared for (neither the books nor the films) for pretty much the same reasons I mentioned above...I perceive it as being a case of too many characters, too many creatures of differing races, too many warriors, too many battles, blah blah blah. Again, I'm sure there is a multitude of metaphors and clever symbolism in the works of Pope and Tolkien, but that doesn't make it any more appealing to me. I simply gravitate to art that is simple and understated. K.I.S.S.!!!

Plus, the whole swords and sorcery/fantasy genre always left me cold, so I guess that could be another reason why I have such a dislike for "The Rape of the Lock".

6 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

If you enjoy shorter texts that are not as "long-winded" then you must find most of the 18th century literature a little grating on your nerves.

Everyone has their own reading preferences and I can understand your distain for the piece but I must say I enjoy it for all the reasons you dislike it.

So I guess it is true that each person gets something different from each reading - mine is a satisified smile, while yours is possibly an upset stomach.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Miriam Jones said...

Gary, what about the claim that for some workd of art, it's the journey, not the goal?

8:25 AM  
Blogger Miriam Jones said...

And of course, I meant "works."

8:26 AM  
Blogger Gary F said...

Lucy: Yes, I totally agree with you that everyone does have their own preferences.

I've always had an aversion to anything that I perceived as unnecessarily long-winded, even as far back as my childhood. Yet I realize that this is only my perception of the piece, and others may love those qualities about it, as you mentioned.

If you've ever seen the P.T. Anderson film "Magnolia", I hated that film for the same reasons. It, in my opinion, was nothing but overblown cinematic overkill. I had the feeling that the director was trying SO hard to show how witty and crafty he was, which just completely rubs me the wrong way. I just have such an appreciation for understatement. I believe there is beauty in insignificance. That is just the manner of my sensibilities.

Dr. Jones: I also totally agree with you that the journey, not the goal, can be the ultimate source of inspiration and beauty. That has been proven in art time and time again. But I guess I would liken "The Rape of the Lock" to a bumpy 14 hour drive through the Serengetti. It just was not an enjoyable journey for me. I find some works of art very much akin to the aforementioned "endless trips". You endure much discomfort to get through it, but by the time you reach the end, you just aren't as moved or as affected as the person sitting next to you who went on the exact same trip. It all boils down to perception, I guess. I can admit that there is beauty, intelligence and style in the work, but that doesn't mean I will enjoy it. Kind of like my last trip to Montreal.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

Hi Gary! Now that we are past "The Rape of the Lock" I hope that you are back to enjoying the readings. How did you like "The History of Rasslas"? I, myself, enjoyed this more than some of the othe reading. In "The Rape of the Lock" I was more interested in figuring out the card game than whether a lock of hair was stolen or not! Happy rest of class!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Gary F said...

Debra: Yes, much like yourself I enjoyed "Rasselas" much more than "Rape of the Lock". I thought it was a very interesting tale about how we as humans are never happy. I think I will try to expand upon this thought in a blog entry I hope to put up in the next day or so.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home