Sunday, December 04, 2005

I must apologize for my laxity in blogging lately. I've just been feeling very tired and disconnected these days. And preoccupied.

Anyway, I thought I would share a few comments with regards to last week's readings. Again, I'm a bit behind. But better late than never, I guess.

I thought Mandeville's A Modest Defence of Public Stews was quite interesting. Of course, it reminded me a fair amount of Swift's A Modest Proposal. There were numerous comments spread throughout the text that caught my interest, some of which really had nothing to do with the subject addressed. For example, I found his comment about "Three Penny Jobs" which were "published to no ends, or purpose, but the Author's" very intriguing. I'm not sure if this is the author disapproving of cheaply made books, or books that are of poor literary quality. Either way, I found this reminded me of someone in the modern age putting down any sort of entertainment which they may deem as "trash" or "bubble gum". I must admit that I have the typical attitude of "it's all good". I even find myself drawn to garbage once in a while, if only to have a guilty respite from all the complexity.

Mandeville also mentions something about treating "the most grave subjects with Burlesque and Ridicule". Interesting indeed. Again, I can't help but see the modern parallel. Don't we still do this? I'm reminded of a lyric from a Crowded House song: "In the paper today, tales of war and of waste, but you turn right over to the TV page". I know I'm certainly guilty of this.

I was also rather captivated by Mandeville's mention of "The King's Evil", wherein someone could be cured of scrofula simply by the touch of a monarch. Wow, now that would be something to see! I also thought it was interesting how Mandeville presented his proposal in such an efficient, business-like manner. Again, this reminded me a lot of Swift's work.

I also enjoyed the selection from the Rambler written by Johnson. His comments about mankind losing itself "in schemes of future felicity" rang very true to me. I know that I spend way too much time looking to the future and not enough occupying myself with the ever-important present.

I must also say that Goldsmith's The Revolution in Low Life made me make my own inner comparisons to the present as well. The idea of farms being taken over by large corporations is certainly truer today than it has ever been. His comments about a country that has inhabitants who are "very rich and very poor" could very well be describing the state of affairs in today's society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home